Botulinum toxin, better known as botox (the brand name of the first drug of this type that was marketed), is actually the toxin that botulism produces. However, its ability to produce muscle paralysis is used for medical purposes in the treatment of certain neurological diseases and aesthetic medicine for expression wrinkles, which is why it is best known.
For the elimination of facial wrinkles botox offers clear advantages:
- Avoid surgery.
- It can be applied at any time of the year.
- It is a practically painless technique.
- Its effects are immediate and last between five and six months.
- It hardly has contraindications.
- Rarely produces adverse effects, such as allergic reactions, facial stiffness or nausea.